Monday, December 16, 2013

IVIG Infusion Day

IVIG Infusion Day


Well, today was my IVIG infusion day. I get these infusions weekly (every Monday) in order to treat my CIDP. For those that don’t know, let me explain a bit about IVIG.

Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG) is a medication that is derived from plasma from thousands of different donors and concentrated to be administered by way of IV. What does it concentrate? Antibodies. You see, someone with CIDP has hard working antibodies. Those antibodies work so hard, in fact, that they even attack parts of the body that aren’t supposed to be attacked (in my case, the myelin that coats my nerves). Studies have shown that administering high doses of “good” antibodies helps to counteract the effects of those radical antibodies bent on destroying perfectly healthy tissue. For some, this is an effective treatment. I know it has been for me, so far. For others, not so much. Unfortunately, not everyone’s body reacts the same to every treatment, so much of it is trial and error.

So, today I went in and got my infusion. Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what an infusion day is like.

0500 – Woke up. No, not because I wanted to, but that just seems to be what happens. Took my medicine while still in bed, giving it a chance to kick in prior to testing the ole’ legs.
0520 – Up, fix coffee (decaf), fix a peanut butter sandwich to take my steroids with. Prepare my coffee with caramel macchiato creamer (mmmm…good stuff)
0530 – Spend some time reading the Bible and drinking my coffee. This is great meditation/preparation time for my day.
0600 – Get clothes ready, shower and get dressed for the day.
0630 – Make sure my girls are up and at it, warm up the car and get what I can loaded into the vehicles (depending on how I feel, it may not be much). Now, I usually lie down for about 30 minutes before leaving.
0700 – Wife and I take kiddo to school, stop for some breakfast and then on to the Ambulatory Care Center.
0800 – Called back by my nurse, Michelle. Starts an IV, gives me my pre-meds (600mg ibuprofen, and 25mg Benadryl I.V.).
0830 – IVIG arrives from pharmacy, and Michelle begins the infusion. Because this medication is derived from blood products, they have to take vital signs VERY often throughout to ensure that I’m not having a reaction. I’m not complaining, I’d rather they err on the side of caution.
0900 – I’m snoozing. The Benadryl had knocked me out, by this point. I’ve been told they can hear me snoring at the nurses’ station…oops. But, hey, it’s a great nap.
1030 – I’m usually up from my nap by this point, and having to pee. So, I get to drag my IV pole to the bathroom and back, which I’ve gotten pretty good at!
1045 – I drag out my laptop and attempt to get some work done even though I’m still hungover from the Benadryl. Usually ends up with me sending a few work emails, then realizing that I can’t get anything done in that medication-induced haze, and me on Facebook.
1130 – TV time. By now, I’m bored, tired and stiff. It’s hard for me to sit that long, and the medicine is starting to make me really tired. I’m just ready for it to be done.
1300 – Winding everything up. Generally, my last bottle is finishing up by this point, and Michelle is giving me my discharge instructions. She removes the IV, bandages me up and sends me on my way (with my chaperone, of course).
1330 – Depending on how wiped I am, we may stop and get some lunch. It’s usually at Bob Evans, simply because it’s inexpensive and on the way home. If I’m too tired, we just head home, which was the case, today.
1400 – Got home, out of the car, and barely made it to the couch before my legs gave out. From that point to now, I’ve spend the greatest portion of the day in the reclined position, sleeping or watching television.
2100 – Sitting in bed, writing this blog, hoping it makes sense!!!

Tomorrow, I visit with a surgeon with whom I will discuss getting an infusaport surgically implanted. IVIG is very hard on a person’s veins, and since I’m getting that medication every week, a port is a good idea to save those veins from damage. It’s a minor surgical procedure that usually takes about 20 minutes to perform. I spoke with several of the nurses in the Ambulatory setting, this morning, and they had some pretty good things to say regarding this doctor, so that was encouraging.

I’ll tell you, I have the greatest group of doctors and nurses caring for me! My neurologist and his staff are AMAZING, and the nurses that do the infusions are some of the best nurses I’ve had the privilege of dealing with. I have been greatly blessed in this, and could not have asked for any better.

I hope this finds everyone doing well, and may you and your family be blessed this Christmas season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment