Friday, December 20, 2013

Port Day!!!

Well, this blog is going to be a little different. I am going to be blogging over the next couple of days, just to see how my outlook changes based on how I’m feeling.

Day 1: Well, tomorrow I get my port implanted. For those who don’t know, an implanted port is a device that is placed under the skin on the upper chest that has a line that is inserted into the subclavian vein. It is a device that allows for infusions and blood draws without having to get stuck in arm veins. I am a little nervous. It is a minor surgical procedure, but it is a surgery nonetheless. Any time someone is cutting into the ol’ body, the body doesn’t like it.
After speaking to the doctor, yesterday, I am confident that he knows what he is doing. He is a surgeon, and they by their nature tend to be kind of arrogant. But this guy seems to not like to take chances. He is going to try and insert the port more toward my shoulder (still in the chest), than my collar bone. He says this reduces the risk of a pneumothorax (collapsed lung). Yeah, I’m good with that. The down side is that if he doesn’t find a vein more toward the shoulder, he’ll have to go in by the clavicle, anyway, and then I’ll have two incisions. Oh, well. Better a second scar than a chest tube.
I also hope I don’t say anything stupid. They aren’t putting me completely out. More than likely, I will be given a drug known as Versed. This drug is known for making patients very drowsy, but able to be roused. It also causes amnesia. So, I may be aware of what is going on with the procedure, but won’t remember any of it. That’s just freaky. The anesthesia nurse called me, today, to make sure I got my preop orders and that I understood what I was having done. She asked if I had any adverse reactions to anesthesia in the past. I told her that unless bad jokes count, no.
Well, I suppose I’ll wrap this part up. Here’s hoping that I am writing to you from this same position on Thursday, and not from a hospital bed! Wish me luck!!!

Day 2
Too many drugs, too much running to blog, yesterday after the procedure. This morning, however, I’m doing well. The worst part for me, at this point, is the sore throat where they had to place the LMA – laryngeal mask airway. Not quite as traumatizing as an endotracheal tube, but not comfortable, either. So, here is how the day went, for me:
1.       Arrived at the registration desk @0750 (was told to get there at 0800)
2.       Got registered and taken back to my room at around 0830.
3.       Nurses/aide took vital signs, weight, and had me get into that sexy, backless number that all sick people find appealing. The aide then performed a friction scrub of my chest to ensure there were no contaminants that could cause infection. The nurse started an IV, got my fluids running and swabbed my nose to check to see if I had any colonized MRSA (I don’t to my knowledge).
4.       Anesthesiologist came in, confused me with another patient…not happy about that. Luckily, the surgeon was with her and straightened her out. She went ahead and ordered “relaxation” medication…night, night. (By the way, my surgeon was wearing a Cincinnati Bengals surgical cap, so his cred with me went through the roof).
5.       My procedure was to be at 1000, and I woke up at 1200, without anything having been done, yet. I, at least, got to nap. My wife sat there awake the whole time, poor thing.
6.       At 1220, the OR nurse came and got me.
7.       1230, I was in the OR. The anesthesiologist explained everything to me, placed a mask over my face and said my IV might burn, a bit.
8.       I wake up in my recovery room at around 1330. Very little soreness, but sticky from iodine (they use that to sterilize your skin prior to procedure).
9.       I was told by my nurse to keep the dressing on until Saturday, when I could then shower, also. I have a scopolamine patch behind my ear. What’s scopolamine? It is an antiemetic drug that helps reduce sea-sickness in travelers, and can reduce oral secretions. The anesthesiologist wants me to keep it on until Saturday to make sure I don’t get nauseous coming down off the meds.
10.   Overall, the rest of the day went well, even though much of it is kind of blurry.

Day 3
Woke up at my usual 0300, due to my steroids. Some soreness in my chest, but my throat is STILL worse. Got something to drink but just not real hungry. Usually, I would spend time in the Bible, this morning, but my eyes are so blurry it’s kind of tough. Typing is one thing, I can adjust the font…not so much with The Good Book. So, I’ll wait a bit before attempting my morning study. I am feeling better, today, than yesterday.
Oh, I forgot to say that the nurse gave me some great info about the port. I didn’t realize that I had to carry medical alert materials to let people know what type of port I have, or they may not be able to use it! I have a wallet card, a keychain card and a gray/purple bracelet that I wear to alert people that I have this thing.
All in all, I’ve been pleased with my experience. I know the port is going to be better than getting stuck for IV’s more than 52 times a year.
I got much support from friends and family, and I really appreciate the advice, prayers and good thoughts coming from my CIDP support group. Many of them have been where I am, right now, and do make this little journey a bit more bearable.
But, as is always the case, I will give the utmost thanks to Jesus. Without His guiding hand, there is no telling what kind of mess I could be in. He is my rock and my salvation, my master and my friend.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I will post again sometime in the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment